Midi Step Entry and multiple Midi Channels

Interested in Cubase Pro 10, Cubase Artist 10 or Cubase Elements 10? Having questions regarding the update or upgrade to the latest version? Please post here!
strumm

Midi Step Entry and multiple Midi Channels

Post by strumm »

Currently I use Logic Pro X, Protools, and Harrison Mixbus

I'm considering Cubase if it has a Midi Step Entry feature as described here:

When I step enter multiple midi notes as a chord, I need the recorded note events to each retain their recorded midi channel. I am using a guitar-like midi controller that sends midi events on multiple channels.

--

Logic successfully does this when you live record midi, but when you step enter midi, all note event midi channels are replaced with a single midi channel as defined in the step entry window.

I never use Protools for midi, but my initial attempts seem to indicate that Protools doesn't even associate a midi channel with midi note events so that information is completely lost. I could be wrong here, but it seems that midi channel is instead associated with the track rather than note events.

thanks!

Martin.Jirsak
Forum Elder

Re: Midi Step Entry and multiple Midi Channels

Post by Martin.Jirsak »

Hi and welcome,

I wasn't sure about it, so I have tested it.

And I can confirm, Cubase keeps the Channel of the incoming MIDI Note (in general any MIDI event) even when Step Input. See attached screenshot, please (the Event Color is set to Channel, it means different color = different MIDI Channel).
Attachments
Screen Shot 2020-09-04 at 20.08.51.png
(9.75 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Martin Jirsak
How to show notes of the chord/scale only
Cubase Training

Cubase Pro (last officially supported version all the time)
macOS (last update)

strumm

Re: Midi Step Entry and multiple Midi Channels

Post by strumm »

Thanks Martin!!

Now the wait for Cubase 11...

Return to “Presales”